I’ve often thought of the things I want my son to know about school – things which I know and understand now which I wish I had known at school. So here they are… things every schoolchild should know, as according to Heather:
- The best part of the school day is when you arrive at school and get to see the faces of all the friends you love around you. Cherish this because when you are an adult, you will have to do a lot of organising to get all your friends together in a single room again.
- Some of the coolest kids in school won’t necessarily be the nicest, most integrious adults, and some of the geeks you look down on might shine like stars some day. You will see your peers in a different light when you grow up so be careful who you look down on and who you look up to. Time shows what’s inside a person and this stuff often hides behind labels and achievements.
- It’s good to work hard but balance is also important. Work hard in your studies and sports but also work hard on the secret aspirations of your heart, and on friendships and enjoying life.
- You can get top marks and invariably a top CEO position one day, but if you place accolades and credentials above qualities like a good heart and integrity, you have missed the point.
- It takes courage to be yourself. This is one of highest kinds of bravery there is.
- Life isn’t always fair. Your teacher and school might not always be fair in who they choose to praise or dismiss but don’t be discouraged by this. God is always fair. Set your goals and desires by the Lord’s higher standards and even if no one ever appreciates this, He will. Everything you do in school and in life is between you and Him.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously. It’s not the end of the world if you get a pimple and the sky won’t fall if you fail a test. You’re young and beautiful. One day you will look at your school photos and you will think is, ‘Why was I ever so hard on myself?’
You will see what I see now, that the world is at your feet. You have the life and vibrancy and opportunity to make ‘some day’ happen right now. These are the best days of your life.Wishing all the learners a Happy 2018!