Mall robbery happens almost every week during month end and peak seasons. It is very important for the shoppers to know what to do to stay safe in these instances.
Fidelity ADT advises customers to always be on the lookout for any suspicious activities and be aware of the people around them.
Stuart Clarkson, Managing Executive Fidelity ADT says crime is becoming more sophisticated, with inside information playing an increasingly prominent role. “Whether you were in the store being robbed or just witnessed the incident in the Centre, you should seek counseling, regardless of how you might feel.
It often takes some time to experience and deal with the post-traumatic stress following such robberies,” concludes Clarkson.
If you do find yourself caught in a mall robbery, Stuart Clarkson, Managing Executive Fidelity ADT provides the following advice:
If you are in the store that is being robbed:
• Co-operate with robbers for your own safety. Listen to their instructions closely and
follow their instructions
• Try and keep as calm as possible. Everyone reacts in a different way but try and
breathe deeply until help arrives
• Do not use your cell phone whilst the robbery is in process, this could agitate the
• Immediately try and find a sheltered spot and keep low on the ground
• Take note of the assailants to pass information on to the authorities for example
on what they were wearing, any distinctive clothes, markings, jewellery etc. Try and
remember what they look like for example their height, weight, etc
• Ensure your children are kept close to you at all times. Do not let children wander
off while you are shopping.
• Do not shop with large amounts of cash or valuables.
If you are not in the store being robbed:
• Speak with the store personnel to firstly close the roller shutter doors. This is also
standard operating procedures in many malls and move to the back of the store, out
• Try and find a store closest to you and secure yourself as described above
• Do not try and exit via the standard entry and exit points as these are the same
points the robbers will be using. Many malls now have standard operating
procedures to lock down the mall.