Chicken is universally known as a favourite protein. This golden Homemade Paprika Chicken Schnitzel can be paired with your preferred sides and feed a whole family easily. Your homemade crumb is better than anything you can buy and you won’t be buying ready-made schnitzels again.
You will be doing a triple dip with different dredging plates. One will be for cornflour which helps with crispiness while the egg mixture holds it together and finally into the flour or breadcrumbs with your spices. All of these add flavour and texture while protecting the chicken against the hot oil. Be careful when placing your Homemade Paprika Chicken Schnitzel into the oil because it can splash and give you a burn. The tenderised chicken will be juicy and tender while the crust is spicy, crunchy and perfectly golden.
Homemade Paprika Chicken Schnitzel is the crispiest you’ve ever had and goes perfectly well with some roasted vegetables.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, butterflied
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cornstarch (Maizena)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups flour (or breadcrumbs)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Oil for frying
- Parsley, chopped
- Lemon wedges
- Cut each butterflied chicken breast in half and pound with a rolling pin, or meat hammer, until flattened.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Place cornflour on a plate.
- In a separate bowl beat eggs and Dijon mustard
- In a large bowl combine flour (or breadcrumbs), cumin, paprika, garlic salt and salt.
- Take each chicken fillet and dredge in cornflour.
- Next dip the chicken into the egg mixture.
- Finally dip the chicken into the flour mixture and coat well.
- Transfer the chicken to a large plate or tray. Repeat until all the fillets have been coated.
- Heat a large pan with 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add 2 chicken breasts to pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- Transfer cooked chicken breasts to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the frying pan and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Garnish with parsley and a lemon wedge.