The Katlehong tavern shooter where two people died on the 8th of July 2022, has reportedly been confirmed as a metro police officer.
Police revealed that they had arrested one suspect who was expected to appear before the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 25 July.
Colonel Dimakatso Sello, a spokesperson for the police, said they are still investigating the matter and it isn’t clear as to whether more arrests will be made. In the meantime, persons who may have information relevant to their investigation, have been urged to come forward.
Earlier this month, City of Johannesburg MMC for Community Safety, Letlhogonolo Moseki assured the families of the victims that the City will support them to get justice and ensure that the perpetrators are arrested and prosecuted.
“We will not rest until these people are arrested and they will also not rest until they are in jail because we will always be hot on their heels. We cannot allow this kind of criminality, which has no space in our city, to continue.
“Anyone with information that can help the police to arrest and successfully prosecute those involved in this crime and other crimes across the city may report it at any EMPD precinct near them or the SAPS. If we can join hands we can defeat crime,” Moseki said.
This is the video from Kwanele shootings in katlehong. It happened at 10:00 pm pic.twitter.com/WeOuOOq63O— Kgontlafetse (@KgontlafetseMoh) July 10, 2022
In another shooting incident on Friday, 22 July, two people were fatally shot and seven wounded during a shooting incident outside a tavern in Ga-Rankuwa, north of Pretoria in Gauteng. The incident reportedly happened took place at around 23:00.
According to police unknown suspects, driving a silver polo reportedly fired shots randomly at patrons who were sitting at the tavern.
Police spokesperson, Colonel Dimakatso Sello said the motive of the shooting is unknown at this stage and police will be investigating two cases of murder and seven of attempted murder.