If you enjoy apple tart, you will certainly fall in love with this apple strudel recipe. This traditional Austrian recipe is a winner every single time.
Basically, a delicious combination of apple, raisins and other ingredients are combined and enveloped in pastry. Brush the dough with an egg-milk mixture and pop it into the oven to bake to a seductive deliciousness.
After about 35 to 40 minutes the apple strudel will be ready to come out of the oven. You can serve it warm or at room temperature. If you want to add something extra to this mouth-watering baked dessert, serve it with ice cream and fresh berries. It is simply delightful!
If you have never tried to bake your own apple strudel, this recipe is the perfect one to try out. You may just find that this recipe will become one of your favourite dessert recipes to whip together.
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 sheet thawed puff pastry
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup coarse sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, flour and raisins. Stir to coat evenly.
- Place the pastry onto the baking sheet and roll it out slightly, using a rolling pin to make it even.
- Spread the apple mixture evenly down the centre of the pastry lengthwise.
- Fold the sides of the pastry around the apples. Seal the dough together by lightly wetting the pastry and pressing it together. Alternately, you can cut the sides of the pastry into strips and fold it decoratively, crossing the strips over each other, sealing them lightly with water.
- Whisk together the egg and the milk. Lightly brush the top of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Looking for more tasty recipes to prepare for your family and friends? Just have a look at our recipe page, we have excellent suggestions for you to try.